Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Benefits of Linkfests

When you set up a linkfest on your blog, its a lot of hard work, no doubt about it. However, there are several benefits.

Benefits to Hosts:

1) Visitors to your Blog

2) Links from those linking in

3) Readership for Your Spiels

This one deserves some comment. Over at Third World County, David makes a short commentary before getting to the post. I do this on occassion. I've done presidential campaign polls, I've had links to my book. You've got people at your website, so take advantage of it if you're a host.

Its also time consuming for posters to link to Linkfests, but they also get benefits out of this.

1) Exposure

2) Links to their word

3) Hits

The best benefit is that some people take a look at a linkfest, look around a little bit, like what they see and before you know it, you've got a regular reader on your hands. This happens to both hosts and guests. I credit linkfests with helping me increase the number of hits and comments I get on my blog.

If you're new to blogging, linkfests are definitely for you. They're a way for good bloggers to get ahead and promote their work. In addition, linkfests CAN increase your Technorati and Truth Laid Bear Ecosystem rankings. However, that's not the primary benefit. The benefit is being read and becoming part of the blogging community.